I’m about to lose my housing

If you need emergency housing, call 211 (which is open 24/7) or click here to find out more about the local shelters and resources.

Find more help on looking for housing here.

Available Programs

If you are a renter:

The N.H. Emergency Rental Assistance Program can help you if you have experienced hardship since the start of the pandemic in March 2020. The help is available for up to 18 months.  *Note: As of Oct. 21, 2022, new applications are not being accepted.

You can get help for:
  • Past due rent, for future rent or security deposits
  • Past due and/or future utilities costs, including electricity, home heating, water, sewer and trash.
  • Internet costs
  • Relocation costs if you’re moving to a new rental

Get more information here. You can apply online here, or get help with your application from Southwestern Community Services by contacting Theresa Derry at [email protected] or 603-719-4281.

If you own your home:

The N.H. Homeowner Assistance Fund is available now, and can help pay for your mortgage, utilities, homeowner insurance and property taxes.

The maximum amount a household can receive through the fund is a total of $20,000.

You can get help for:
  • Up to $20,000 for delinquent mortgage payments
  • Up to $20,000 for delinquent property taxes, homeowner insurance, homeowner association or condominium fees/dues, and co-op maintenance or lot rents
  • Up to $3,000 for delinquent utility or Internet payments

The eligibility requirements are:

  • A loss of income or an increase in household expenses after Jan. 21, 2020, due to COVID-19
  • Owning and occupying the property that would receive assistance, and having that property as your primary residence
  • Having an income equal to or less than 125% of Area Median Income.

Find more information on the program with this fact sheet.

You can get help applying by calling AHEAD Inc. at 800-974-1377, extension 1014.

Apply online here.

Source: https://homehelpnh.org/

603 Legal Aid is free for qualifying residents. Call 800-639-5290 or 603-224-3333 (Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.) You can also apply online here.

Legal help includes landlord/tenant disputes, eviction, housing discrimination, rental deposits, public housing, housing conditions and more.

N.H. Public Radio has put together a useful guide about housing rights that you can find here.

If you believe you are being discriminated against because you have a disability, call the Disability Rights Center.

Need Additional Assistance?

Get help from the human services or welfare office in your town, which can help with housing, utilities and more.