I’m in danger of losing my housing because of finances

Available Programs

N.H. Emergency Rental Assistance Program (Note: As of Oct. 21, 2022, new applications are not being accepted.)

If you are a renter:

The N.H. Emergency Rental Assistance Program can help you if you are a renter and have experienced hardship since the start of the pandemic in March 2020. The help is available for up to 18 months.  

You can get help for:
  • Past due rent, for future rent or security deposits
  • Past due and/or future utilities costs, including electricity, home heating, water, sewer and trash.
  • Internet costs
  • Relocation costs if you’re moving to a new rental

Get more information here

You can apply online here, or get help with your application from Southwestern Community Services by contacting Theresa Derry at [email protected] or 603-719-4281

N.H. Homeowner Assistance Fund

If you own your home:

The N.H. Homeowner Assistance Fund is available now, and can help pay for your mortgage, utilities, homeowner insurance and property taxes.

The maximum amount a household can receive through the fund is a total of $20,000.

You can get help for:
  • Up to $20,000 for delinquent mortgage payments
  • Up to $20,000 for delinquent property taxes, homeowner insurance, homeowner association or condominium fees/dues, and co-op maintenance or lot rents
  • Up to $3,000 for delinquent utility or Internet payments

The eligibility requirements are:

  • A loss of income or an increase in household expenses after Jan. 21, 2020, due to COVID-19
  • Owning and occupying the property that would receive assistance, and having that property as your primary residence
  • Having an income equal to or less than 125% of Area Median Income.

Find more information on the program with this fact sheet.

You can get help applying by calling AHEAD Inc. at 800-974-1377, extension 1014.

Apply online here.

Source: https://homehelpnh.org/

Energy assistance programs

Available through Southwestern Community Services.

Need help? Call 603-352-7512.

  • Fuel assistance
  • Help with heating and utility expenses for people with low incomes, disabilities, and senior citizens

  • Electric assistance
  • Offers a discount on monthly electric bills for qualifying residents

  • Neighbor Helping Neighbor
  • Help with electric or natural gas bills for people experiencing hardship, have service disconnections pending, and aren’t eligible for the fuel assistance program

  • Senior Energy Assistance Program
  • Helps with energy costs with up to $270 per household for people age 60 or older who are over the income eligibility for the fuel assistance program

    Town welfare offices

    Get help from the human services or welfare office in your town, which can help with housing, utilities and more. Find a list of who to contact here.

    Housing counseling through Service Link 

    Do you need legal help with an eviction or a foreclosure?

    603 Legal Aid is free for qualifying residents. Legal help includes landlord/tenant disputes, eviction, foreclosure, housing discrimination, rental deposits, public housing, housing conditions and more.

    Call 800-639-5290 or 603-224-3333 (Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.) You can also apply online here.

    N.H. Public Radio has put together a useful guide about housing rights that you can find here.

    If you believe you are being discriminated against because you have a disability, call the Disability Rights Center.